Sunday, March 8, 2009

Watchmen, Anime, and life

Ok, first off, I know it's been a while. I've been busy. I was supposed to go and get a playmate for Mukki this weekend, but after totally re-working my weekend for this, I get told that it's not happening. I'm really beginning to hate people. The reason I was looking for a playmate for Mukki, well, Belle doesn't play, Oliver get's him cranked right before bed, and leaves me and my elderly dog to deal with a hyper kitten. Now, yes, I wanted a kitten, and I love how playful he is. But not at 3am. And he's getting a bit rough on Copper. So, I tried, it didn't work, then tried something else, and naturally, that didn't work. And, we're back at square one. Again. There is a chance of next weekend, but I'm already pissed at these people. They were supposed to transport some cats from a high kill shelter to waiting adopters, and then tell us last minute that, oh, a couple of the kittens are sick, so, none of the cats are going to be transported. I understand that, really I do, but waiting till the last fucking minute?! They totally killed my weekend, which was supposed to be awesome. and even if I had found out earlier, I could have had a decent weekend, but the fact that they wait till FRIDAY NIGHT to tell me this? GAH, I hate shitheads who can't PLAN AHEAD. If you're taking some kittens to a vet before they get transported, guess what? DON'T DO IT THE DAY BEFORE THEY GET PICKED UP!!!!

And that's enough of my rant.

Now to Watchmen.

A most excellent movie. Totally rated R people. We're talking a DO-NOT-bring-your-kid-because-you-can't-find-a-sitter movie. A lot of blood, gore, sex, and nudity, MALE and FEMALE.
As for the plot, well, it helps if you know a bit about the Watchmen, but the story stands alone on it's own. The characters are all superheros, but at the same time they're composit superheros. You can see traits of all the classic greats in these people. The story can seem a bit convoluted, but if you pay attention it's simple. I can't really say more about it then the typical movie-site summery on the plot. I will say that there is some serious dark humor going on, which really just makes my day. For example, my favorite line:
Rorschach: [to prisoners] I'm not locked in here with you! You're locked in here with ME!
and in case you can't guess, Rorschach is by far my favorite character in the movie. I just love slightly insane characters.
There's also a nice scene with two hero's reminiscing about a guy who used to dress up just to get them to beat him up, and how annoying it was when he'd follow them shouting "PUNISH ME!". One asks the other what ever happened to him, and the other responds "Oh, he pulled that on Rorschach, and he dropped him down an elevator shaft." I love that part.

Overall, I give the graphics an 9/10 for the most part, and a 10/10 for Rorschach's mask (see the movie, you'll see what I mean)
Plot 10/10
Character development 10/10 (Yes, you do get attached, though I have a friend who disagreed and thought the movie was only so-so)
Soundtrack 9/10. It would have been a 10/10, but when I went to buy it, some of the best songs were not on the track! It was defiantly appropriate music, however.
Overall, I give it a 9/10, mostly because there was some tacky-ness, and it could be a bit hard to follow all the time. Some more background on some of the characters would have been welcome as well.

And for the Anime!
First Watchable-not-on-the-Japanese-website preview of 07-ghosts is out, and I'm gonna share it. I'm counting down till the new stuff comes out! (And for those reading Naruto, WTF??! right?)

1 comment:

  1. We've had a lot of satisfied customers in 2012; we plan to close out the new year by offering some really cool stuff! Watchmen Rorschach Mask.

    ReplyDelete