Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Pandora Hearts

Ok, so I said the next one would be 07-ghost. I lied, its the start of new anime series, what do you want from me? This is going to seem like a long review, in comparison the the FMA one of last week, but remember, I said I was going to review the official version as well, and when we found out about FMA 2 (easier to type then FMA: brotherhood) I went and did a long blog about it. Feel free to go back and check.

Pandora Hearts the anime is based off a manga by the same name created by Jun Mochizuki. The official summery is "Oz Bezarius, heir to one of the duke houses, has just turned fifteen. His life is rich and carefree, darkened only by the constant absence of his father. At his coming-of-age ceremony, however, everything changes. For no reason that he can discern, he's cast into the prison known as the "Abyss", only to be saved by a "chain" known as Alice, the bloodstained black rabbit. It is unknown why was he cast into Abyss, how does Alice factor into it all, and what does the organization known as "Pandora" want with him." ~ Anime News Network
Let's face it, the references to Alice in Wonderland is obvious, but from the summery, it looked like a good series.

Now, the opening, pre-opening song, is kinda confusing, but I like it, very dark, makes you want to at least watch the episode to figure out what the heck was going on there. The opening song was really upbeat, and I wonder if it's a bit too happy for the show, but we'll wait and see. I had an "Oh my! It's Hoenheim (Ed and Al's father in FMA)! Wait...wrong series. wonder who he is..." during the opening. It amused me so I thought I'd share. Turns out he's Uncle Oscar, (I think) just a bit more stylized for the opening. The closing is a bit less...fluffy. I'm sure the sequence will make a lot more sense when I know what's going on. As of right now, I like the maids. The episode is a big cliffie, and you learn basically nothing. But it's an interesting enough episode that I think I'll give episode 2 a view. Of course, if this series, or any of the other ones I'll review the first episode of are licensed, I'll let you know, and hopefully they'll be streamed for us poor peons of the anime world to watch.

*SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 1 TO FOLLOW!!!*

To recap the episode, you basically meet Oz, and find out that he's turning, or has turned, 15, and there's a coming of age ceremony later that night for him. He's naturally too busy exploring and playing with his little sister Ada, her cat Daia, and his servant, Gil. It seems that his servant is his only real friend. Naturally, while they're playing around, Oz stumbles across something he probably should have left alone. It's a grave-marker, with the name worn away, and there is a pocket watch attached to it (Seriously, with this Uncle Oz, who looks like either an Older Edward Elric, or a younger Hoenheim, I was thinking these people watched some FMA). When he picks up the watch and winds it, a haunting tune starts to play, and he finds himself in another place. A room filled with creepy dolls, to be exact. A girl shows up, and it's obvious she knows him, but he has no clue who she is, and they can't touch each other. The girl drops a doll, which catches fire, and her voice changes. She then tries to strangle Oz, saying that she'll never forgive him, which is weird, because a second ago, she was really happy to see him, because he was her only friend (apparently). Oz snaps out of it to find Gil shaking his shoulder, and shrugs it off, but decides to take the watch to ask his uncle about it.
You then meet to creepy people talking about the Tranquility clock, and how it'll chime again....cut back to Gil. Gil is trying to decide if he should go to the ceremony. He wants to...but he doesn't. A woman in a hooded robe appears, and she sounds/looks a bit like the creepy girl from before. Gil apparently loses his body to something not-so-nice. Oz is waiting for the ceremony to begin, and complains to the watch that he suddenly feels very uneasy about something. You then see the creepy girl again, this time floating in the clock, I guess, and she wonders if someone is calling her.....and that's where you're left off.

Oz (the blond) and Gil somewhere they shouldn't be...

The three Muskatatoos (I know I know, Musketeers...I got the other one from a book, long ago) and Uncle Oscar. See? He looks like an old Ed, or a young Hoenheim.

Creepy girl, during the credits. Donno if there's two of them, or she's just bonkers. Very Alice in Wonderland with the cloths and background though.

*SPOILERS END!!!*


Of course, I left some stuff out so as not to kill the whole episode for you. So far, I'd give the series an 5/10. Mostly because I have NO CLUE what is going on, but I get the feeling the whole show is going to be like that. Rating might go up after another episode. I'd at least like the creepy-girl explained a bit. (The closing credits make it seem a bit like Alice in Wonderland :Through the Looking Glass. Maybe there's two of her?).

If you've got a series you want me to check out for you, feel free to leave it in the comments, or message me. Even if it's a series that's been out for a long time. This can be helpful if you're trying to decide if you want to invest in the series, or at least watch it. As for the new shows, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm picking the ones I'll review here based on Name, Summery, and past knowledge of the series coming out. This, therefore, is only a tiny part of what's coming out.

No comments:

Post a Comment